On this page:
PMI professional certification ensures that you’re ready to meet the demands of projects and employers across the globe.
Developed by practitioners for practitioners, PMI certifications are based on rigorous standards and ongoing research to meet the real-world needs of organisations.
With a PMI certification behind your name, you can work in virtually any industry, anywhere in the world, and with any project management methodology.
PMI offers eight certifications to meet your experience and needs:
- The Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM) demonstrates your understanding of the fundamental knowledge, terminology and processes of effective project management. See PMI's CAPM Exam Guidance for more details.
- The Project Management Professional (PMP) is the gold standard of project management certification. Recognised and demanded by organizations worldwide, the PMP validates your competence to perform in the role of a project manager, leading and directing projects and teams. See PMI's PMP Exam Guidance for more details.
- The Program Management Professional (PgMP) is designed for those who manage multiple, complex projects to achieve strategic and organizational results.
- The Portfolio Management (PfMP) signifies advanced competency in the coordinatred management of one or more portfolios to achieve strategic objectives.
- Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) formally recognizes your knowledge of agile principles and your skill with agile techniques such as Scrum, Kanban, Lean, extreme programming (XP) and test-driven development (TDD.)
- The Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP) certification recognizes demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the specialized area of assessing and identifying project risks along with plans to mitigate threats and capitalize on opportunities.
- The Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP) certification recognizes demonstrated knowledge and advanced experience in the specialized area of developing and maintaining project schedules.
- Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA) highlights your expertise in business analysis. It spotlights your ability to work effectively with stakeholders to define their business requirements, shape the output of projects and drive successful business outcomes.
PMI maintains an up-to-date registry of individuals who have earned one of its certifications. The online registry provides a realtime directory of all current PMI credential holders.
All PMI certfiications, with the exception of CAPM, require that you engage in continuous professional development in order to remain certified. Professional Development Units (PDUs) are the measuring unit used to quantify your professional development activities. Read more about maintaining your PMI certification. Log in (at the top right button on this website) to report the PDUs that you have earned and view your certification records.
The Certification Preparation Network (CPN) is a 12–16 week programme, offered in a number of Branches throughout New Zealand, to help you study towards sitting the Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM) qualification.The programme is facilitated by local experienced and certified project managers who share their experiences to enhance your learning. Go to the Region / Branch tab and check the News or Events sections to see when your local CPN group meets or to contact your region’s professional development coordinator to find out more.
PMI global outsources exam oversight to Prometric. For information on exams in your area please visit their website.
Paper-based exams are scheduled in Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin in March, June, September, and December, on the first Saturday of the month.
Computer-based exams are scheduled in Auckland every Tuesday of every month.
It is important to allow enough time to apply for eligibility to sit the exam, and once approved, to book and pay for the exam.
Click the Read more button below to see the Frequently Asked Questions about New Zealand's Certification Preparation Network.