On this page:
PMI professional certification ensures that you’re ready to meet the demands of projects and employers across the globe.
Developed by practitioners for practitioners, PMI certifications are based on rigorous standards and ongoing research to meet the real-world needs of organisations.
With a PMI certification behind your name, you can work in virtually any industry, anywhere in the world, and with any project management methodology.
PMI offers eight certifications to meet your experience and needs:
- The Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM®) demonstrates your understanding of the fundamental knowledge, terminology and processes of effective project management. See PMI's CAPM Exam Guidance for more details.
- The Project Management Professional (PMP®) is the gold standard of project management certification. Recognised and demanded by organisations worldwide, the PMP validates your competence to perform in the role of a project manager, leading and directing projects and teams. See PMI's PMP Exam Guidance for more details.
- The Program Management Professional (PgMP®) is designed for those who manage multiple, complex projects to achieve strategic and organizational results.
- The Portfolio Management (PfMP®) signifies advanced competency in the coordinated management of one or more portfolios to achieve strategic objectives.
- Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP®) formally recognises your knowledge of agile principles and your skill with agile techniques such as Scrum, Kanban, Lean, extreme programming (XP) and test-driven development (TDD.)
- The Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP®) certification recognises demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the specialised area of assessing and identifying project risks along with plans to mitigate threats and capitalise on opportunities.
- The Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP®) certification recognises demonstrated knowledge and advanced experience in the specialised area of developing and maintaining project schedules.
- Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA®) highlights your expertise in business analysis. It spotlights your ability to work effectively with stakeholders to define their business requirements, shape the output of projects and drive successful business outcomes.
The PMP exam will reflect the new exam content from 1 July 2020. Read about the changes.
PMINZ CPN (Certification Preparation Network)
A facilitated study group session that runs for approximately 16 weeks (up to two hours per week) in some of the branches throughout the year. Participants work through the PMBOK® Guide (sixth edition) with guidance from a PMP® certified PMINZ volunteer. NZD$120. Check out the events pages to see if a CPN is offered in your region.
Millpond provides professional classroom based, online or on demand certification training.
PMI Project Management Basics
Project Management Basics is the official PMI online course to build your project management skills and prepare for the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification exam. USD $350 members and USD $400 for non-members. Find out more
PMI Registered Educational Providers (R.E.P.s) are organisations that have been approved to offer training in project management. To earn the R.E.P. designation, a provider must meet or exceed rigorous standards for quality and effectiveness as defined by PMI.
PMI maintains an up-to-date registry of individuals who have earned one of its certifications. The online registry provides a realtime directory of all current PMI credential holders.
All PMI certfiications, with the exception of CAPM, require that you engage in continuous professional development in order to remain certified. Professional Development Units (PDUs) are the measuring unit used to quantify your professional development activities. Read more about maintaining your PMI certification.
To report PDUs, log in at the Project Management Institute's Continuing Certfiication Requirements System portal.
PMI global outsources computer-based exam services to Pearson VUE
To search for test centres in your area visit Find Test Centre.
It is important to allow enough time to apply for eligibility to sit the exam, and once approved, to book and pay for the exam.
Click the Read more button below to see the Frequently Asked Questions about New Zealand's Certification Preparation Network.